Back to Recipes
Crispy Quinoa Cakes
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 10 mins Total Time: 30 mins
- 2 ¼ cups cooked quinoa, well drained, squeezed dry
- 3 garlic gloves minced
- 1 cup minced white onion
- 1/2 cup fermented-salted black beans (Temple brand is best), rinsed well or black lentils
- 1/2 cups shaved Brussels sprouts
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 1/3 cup grated Dry Jack Cheese
- 2 tablespoon Vadouvan curry
- ½ table toasted ground cumin
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs for the cakes
- Salt and pepper to taste (start with 3 teaspoons salt & ½ teaspoon pepper)
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs for the final coating
- Olive oil or Rice bran oil to fry the cakes
- Sauté the onion, garlic and Brussels sprout in olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes, until tender. Remove from heat and cool.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the sautéed ingredients with the ½ cup panko, the quinoa, eggs, spices and cheese.
- Mix well while seasoning.
- Form patties about the size of a checker piece and coat with the remaining Panko.
- Fry very briefly in oil until crispy on each side, drain on paper towels and serve warm.
These freeze well and go from freezer to pan to table in just a few minutes. This recipe requires a lot of prep time to make, so make a lot and then freeze them.
Tender, delicious worth all the effort. For serving, finish with our Award winning Leccino Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
© 2015 Il Fiorello Olive Oil Company
Recipe adapted from Chef Marvin Martin