Back to Recipes
Nocino, Italian walnut liquor, is usually made on June 24th, St John's day.
The alcohol turns bright green from the walnuts, as do your hands.
- Whole walnuts
- Pure grain alcohol (Everclear will do just fine)
- Optional seasonings to taste: cinnamon, lemon, coffee beans
- Simple syrup, to taste (1 part sugar to 1 part water)
- Cut the walnuts in quarters and soak in alcohol, along with any desired seasonings, for a few weeks or longer depending on the strength you want.
- After they are finished extracting, drain
- Mix the liquid with simple syrup to taste.
Nocino is an acquired taste but wonderful. Enjoy.