Yield: approximately 1 to 1½ Gallons
10 large yellow tomatoes, cut into halves
2 cups chopped yellow onions
1 jalapeno, stem removed and chopped
1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon salt
Juice and zest of 1 orange
½ cup dry sherry
1 Teaspoon ground cumin
6 cups chicken stock or water
- In a baking dish, coat the tomatoes with the garlic, 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil and 1 Teaspoon of salt. Roast them at 450°F for 40-45 minutes until they begin to caramelize on top.
- Meanwhile, in a sauce pan, heat the remaining olive oil and sauté the onions and jalapenos until soft.
- Add the orange juice and zest, sherry, cumin and remaining salt.
- Bring to a boil, add the chicken stock and simmer for 35-40 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Using a blender, puree the soup base.
- Strain and chill before adding the vegetable garnish.
- Re-season after chilling by adjusting salt and lime juice as necessary.