2 ¼ cups cooked quinoa, well drained, squeezed dry
3 garlic gloves minced
1 cup minced white onion
1/2 cup fermented-salted black beans
(Temple brand is best), rinsed well or black lentils
1/2 cups shaved Brussels sprouts
3 large eggs beaten
1/3 cup grated Dry Jack Cheese
2 tablespoon Vadouvan curry
½ table toasted ground cumin
½ cup Panko breadcrumbs for the cakes
Salt and pepper to taste (start with 3 teaspoons salt & ½ teaspoon pepper)
½ cup Panko breadcrumbs for the final coating
Olive oil or Rice bran oil to fry the cakes
• Sauté the onion, garlic and Brussels sprout in olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes, until tender. Remove from heat and cool.
• In a large mixing bowl combine the sautéed ingredients with the ½ cup panko, the quinoa, eggs, spices and cheese.
• Mix well while seasoning.
• Form patties about the size of a checker piece and coat with the remaining Panko.
• Fry very briefly in oil until crispy on each side, drain on paper towels and serve warm.
NOTE: These freeze well and go from freezer to pan to table in just a few minutes.
This recipe requires a lot of prep time to make, so make a lot and then freeze them.
Tender, delicious worth all the effort.
For serving, finish with our Award winning Leccino Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
© 2015 Il Fiorello Olive Oil Company
Recipe adapted from Chef Marvin Martin