I have not blogged lately because I have been very busy milling tons and tons of olives. We are very grateful this year for a bountiful harvest. It was an early harvest, and we have milled almost every day since September 21. This makes us all very happy to be making great oil, but also very tired at the end of our day!
We still have at least 3 more weeks to go, so I thought I would just give you a list of things an olive oil miller does every day…
The Life of an Olive Oil Miller
- Waking up early to head off to the farm
- Receive beautiful olives from new and returning clients
- Taking photos of the olives, checking their temperatures and weights
- Moving 100 lb. bins from one side of the mill to the other
- Unloading 1000 lb. bins filled with olives with the forklift
- Greeting the steady stream of clients delivering olives and picking up their freshly milled oil
- Cleaning the mill before we begin milling
- Moving 5 gallon jugs of olive oil milled last night, each weighing about 40 lbs. (Did you know that oil weighs 7.61 lbs. per gallon??)
- Filling up the wash tank at the mill and trying not to get splashed with freezing cold water!
- Wearing headphones, inside the mill, all day long to protect our hearing
- Watching the olives mix into a beautiful, shimmery paste!
- Carefully filling containers with beautiful fresh oil
- Cleaning the machines in preparation for the next batch of olives
- Cleaning the mill, wall to wall!
- Heading home at 11P.M. after a long day’s work
We have been working alongside the outdoor construction workers, the film crew, and research scientists observing our property, because we strive to not only produce award winning oils…but to remain environmentally friendly!
Come and see the milling process, it is amazing!